A few notes regarding octave on Ubuntu.
I installed basic Octave-3.0.0 package and wanted to install additional packages, but run into problems. Here is the right way to do this:
- Install Octave
sudo apt-get install octave3.0
- optionally check which octave. In my case the old version was removed leaving behind dead link from /usr/bin/octave to /etc/alternatives... I recreated the link to the latest version.
- Install the development package octave-headers - you will need this to install additional packages
sudo apt-get install octave3.0-headers
- Download the desired packages from sourceforge:
- Install (do not unzip) the octave packages from octave. Note, if you want to install them globally for all users, you need to start the octave as root:
sudo octave ... octave:1> pkg install /home/me/Desktop/image-1.0.6.tar.gz ...
- optionally check the packages from ortave with
You are done. If you want to uninstall package, consult help or just do it:
help pkg pkg uninstall image